Friday, October 1, 2010

Family Time

I purposefully pushed my Friday goal to Saturday so that I could focus on spending time with my daughter. With the daily barrage of people, there are many nights I get to spend only 30 to 40 minutes actually playing with her. It seems I fall into the trap of putting everyone else first and I decided that my daughter needed to come first today.

We traveled to the Brown County Fair with every intention of showing her the real cows, pigs, chickens and such from Old MacDonald's Farm. After dodging the rain for most of the day and introducing Jenny to several of the fair foods, we returned home - having introduced Jenny to none of the live animals in the entire place. Oh well, there will always be next year.

I can reflect on how simple her joy was in this day - the balloon that cost us nothing and the corn cake she ate from my annual corn dog - all simple and all so absolute. It made me miss the simple things about being young again.

This is my favorite time of year - the wind that crisps the leaves through my back yard and the mysterious sound of a bonfire. I love that musty and sacramental scent of burning leaves; the tender prickliness of fleece blankets; the biting nip of the barest frost on the tip of my nose.

This time of year yearns for snuggling and time with family. I can only hope that my daughter will let me have more great days like Saturday at the county fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment