Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Evaluating the problem areas

Today's goal was to take time to discover where my time and energy are being unfairly absorbed.

A few problem areas rose immediately to view. Cleaning up the small things - bits of trash, rehanging up Jenny's towel where it belongs, shifting the piles around on the kitchen table - stole precious moments from my day. Moments I can no longer get back. Moments I wasn't spending with my family. Moments that weren't making me happy.

The things that stole away my energy were more difficult to diagnose. The student who threatened to misbehave if I called her mother about her grades - as if it were my fault that she wasn't doing her work and that I should further pay for her lack of motivation. I allowed this student to completely ruin my day, steal my energy, and wick away any enthusiasm I had for teaching that day. It took a lot to finish the school day.

But then I saw my daughter and I remembered that life does get better; that energy and enthusiasm are renewable sources of energy; and that her smile, laughter, and love can erase the dread and dreariness of almost any day.

So after a day of looking at the problems, I look forward to finding solutions tomorrow and beginning to implement them a day at a time.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment